Board of Directors
CRAB Photo Gallery
Crab Cup Race Results
Boats for Sale
CRAB Party 2004
Calendar of Events
Contact and Maps
How to Donate
Specific Ways You Can Support CRAB and
1.Write a donation check and mail it to
Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating
PO Box 6564
Annapolis, MD 21401
2.Encourage your business to become involved as a cash or In-kind donor.
3.Donate your boat.(See
4. Buy a boat from the CRAB brokerage list. Check the Spinsheet brokerage
section in the latest issue for a list of current offerings or check out
Spinsheet's website www.spinsheet.com
5. Volunteer to help out at Sandy Point State Park or volunteer to help
out at a special event.
6. Help spread the CRAB message to the community!
A Guide to Help
you Donate a
Boat and Avoid Unanticipated Problems
1. Consult your accountant or discuss with the IRS the advantages or
problems of donating your boat. The laws change and each person's tax
2. Gather any descriptive literature, e.g. brochures, specification,
photos, layout etc. concerning the boat to be donated.
3. Sign over the title to CRAB, Inc. or Chesapeake Region Accessible
Boating, Inc. on the back of the title (MD) in the space indicated,
writing "Charitable Donation" in place of dollar consideration. Coast
Guard documentation must be given to CRAB at the time of the boat's
4. CRAB cannot be party to valuing a donated boat. For the donor, a marine
survey provides the strongest documentation of a boat's value. If listed
in the BUC book, make a photocopy of the particular page on which the boat
appears (we suggest highlighting it) and the cover of the particular BUC
book (to establish the date of issue of the book). Banks and Boat Loan
Departments and some libraries usually have this book, as does Maryland's
boat licensing department of the Department of Natural Resources. None of
these is particularly interested in accommodating such a request because
there is no compensation, boat dealers are least eager.
5. The Donor writes a dedicatory letter, donating the boat to CRAB, using
serial numbers, hull numbers, transom codes, e.g. 1974 Bermuda 40, by
Henry R. Hinckley, Hull# HRH B40974143, Maryland registration numbers, and
in the case of outboard motors and trailers, brand, model and serial
numbers where possible. An inventory of equipment included with the boat,
i.e., sails, anchors, instrumentation, dinghy, pumps, etc. should be
included in this letter.
6. An IRS From 8283 will be furnished to the donor by CRAB, along with a
letter acknowledging the gift, using the language and data of the Donor's
7. CRAB will provide documentation of its non-profit status to those
Donors who make such a request. CRAB is a chapter in good standing of
Disabled Sports/USA, formerly National Handicapped Sports of Rockville, MD
under whose 501(c)(3) umbrella it rests.
Inquiries regarding boat donations should be
Don Backe: phone 410-626-0273
CRAB office (summer only) 410-974-2628